If you need a more accessible version of this website, click this button on the right.
Switch to Accessible Site
You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.
Safety First™ Anesthesia
Here are our policies:
- No anesthesia is undertaken without a thorough physical examination prior to the surgery date.
- Vaccination status is reviewed and must be current. This is for the protection of other pets, as well as yours. Surgery is usually not recommended until one week after vaccination.
- On the day of the procedure, Dr. Janssen performs another exam just prior to anesthesia and will postpone surgery if he feels that an underlying, previously undiagnosed problem is present. This has been known to happen. While it might throw a kink into our schedules, it may also save a life. This examination is done without additional charge to you.
- Included with each procedure are the blood tests done at our clinic on the day of the procedure to make sure your pet is healthy. This includes a kidney screen, a liver screen, a determination of lack of anemia (PCV), a partial urinalysis and a total protein determination. To ensure your pet is safe throughout the procedure, blood oxygen, blood pressure and heart activity are continuously monitored with a pulse oximeter, electrocardiograph by a dedicated anesthetist technician.
- Only the safest and the best anesthetics are used. All dental procedures are performed using the gas anesthetic isoflurane, which is 99% free of direct effects on the heart, liver, and kidneys, and is rapidly exhaled after surgery, leading to a quicker recovery. All dental procedures are also performed with an endo-tracheal tube in place to protect our patients lungs.
- All surgical sutures and supplies are individually packaged and sterilized by the same manufacturer that supplies the UW Hospitals and Clinics. Naturally, all surgeries are performed using sterile technique.
- Recovery from anesthesia is done under the direct supervision of Dr. Janssen. Your pet is not returned to the patient ward until Dr. Janssen is satisfied that all systems are functioning normally.
- Your pet is checked periodically by Dr. Janssen after his/her recovery to ensure that no problems exist.
- After your pet recovers, you will be contacted and will receive a progress report so that your mind can be at ease.